Congleton Rovers JFC

Congleton Rovers JFC
Last update: Saturday 21st July 2018 @ 12:43
Visitors this week: 893
HOME | Contacts | Fixtures | Register
BBC Weather

Team Sections

Find us at...

Team Index


Our Sponsors

Team Officials

  • Dean Leyland (Manager)

  • M:07710726340 send an email to Dean
  • Toby Miller (Assistant)

  • M:07535145897 send an email to Toby
  • Roger Willcock (Assistant)

click to enlarge

U11sBlue - Match Report

Macclesfield Tigers U11 V Congleton Rovers Blues

(Dean Leyland 09/10/2017)

Congleton Rovers JFC U11sBlue  Vs  Macclesfield Junior Football Club Tigers U11s   (Score Withheld)

(Match Date: Saturday 7th October 2017)
Rovers travelled to unfamiliar territory on Saturday as they took on Macclesfield Tigers at Hollinhey School in Sutton. In rural surroundings, the two main questions were how would Rovers perform against this unknown quantity, and would the goalposts be erected in time for kick-off.
Almost from the kick off, Macclesfield earned a free kick, but the Rovers wall blocked the attempt on goal. Macclesfield were moving the ball forward quickly, but the early attacks were stifled by strong Rovers tackling.
The visitors put together some good passing moves, before a run ended with a firm shot, which was only half saved, before Rovers scored from the loose ball.
Tigers hit back with a swift counter attack, but the Rovers keeper was well-positioned to save.
It had been only ten minutes from the start, but Rovers soon doubled their lead. A firm shot was saved, but the rebound was picked up and taken round the floundering keeper to score. Further attacks by Rovers saw shots fired just wide, whilst the goalkeeper was keeping Tigers in the game, with cleanly held saves.
The game was much tighter than the early score reflected, and Tigers were far from out of the game. Congleton’s defence was having its busiest and best game of the season so far, with all defenders making the necessary tackles, blocks, clearances and interceptions to keep Tigers away from goal.
Going forward, an advancing Rovers midfielder passed on an opportunity to shoot, by unselfishly playing in a team-mate whose shot whistled past the left post.
The Congleton keeper then had to be alert in holding a good Tigers shot, but this was a warning of their attacking threat. They gained just reward for their efforts with a counter attacking move down the right-hand side, which produced a shot across the keeper into the bottom left corner of the net.
A passing move saw Congleton caught offside, before there was another scare in defence. A Tigers free kick looped off the Rovers bar, and Congleton scrambled the ball off the goal-line when it seemed easier for Macclesfield to equalise.
At the start of the second half, both teams had early attacking moves, with shots flashing across the face of both goals. Rovers just failed to increase their lead following a brilliant shot from distance, which cleared the goalkeeper, but then smashed into the right-hand upright.
Rovers continued to defend tenaciously as Tigers tried to get back into the game, with the ball cleared off the line, and Tigers falling foul of a well organised offside trap.
Macclesfield were having to do their share of defending, but couldn’t stop further shots raining in, but the efforts were just off target. The game concluded with a final Rovers breakout down the right, but they could only shoot across goal.
Congleton could be well satisfied with a good all-round performance, against an opposition who were their equal in all departments. Rovers increasingly well-organised defence kept the Tigers at bay, and their passing and attacking options caused Tigers plenty of problems.
Credit is also due to the young referee who had an excellent game, making clear, confident and most importantly correct decisions.